I was nominated for Liebster award! For those of you who do not know what this Liebster thing is all about: The Liebster Award is a small token of appreciation given to bloggers for doing what they do best and also a way for bloggers to learn about other bloggers. We are all connected in the great circle of… blogging!
I was nominated by the lovely Ms. Psyche over at psycheplays.com. You can read about her nomination and the bloggers she has nominated here!
The Rules for the Nominees:
– You must link back to the person who nominated you.
– You must state 10 facts about yourself.
– You must answer the 10 Liebster questions given to you by the person who nominated you.
– You must pick 5-10 bloggers to be nominated with under 200 followers.
1. I enjoy creating abstract drawings and paintings, and viewing all forms of art in general. I’m one of those people who can look at a ‘blob of mess’ and see something beautiful and meaningful.
2. The ocean at night is my favorite place to be. The sound of the waves. The chill of the salty breeze. My feet in the sand. The moonlight flickering off the water. There is no greater moment of tranquility (for me) than being at the beach after dark.
3. I don’t like eating inside restaurants. I don’t find restaurant dates very romantic. I’d rather take the food home or have a picnic. Something about eating in a room full of strangers with a waiter coming by every three minutes just doesn’t do it for me. I also have trouble eating in front of people – period.
4. My nervous habits include: Chewing the inside of my mouth and picking at the skin around my thumbnails until they bleed. I get nervous often and I haven’t figured out a way to channel that into something less self-inflicting.
5. I like people to like me, and it drives me mad if someone doesn’t like me without reason. I think I’m a likable person. I like people. I’m always interested in getting to know people. When someone decides not to like me, I let it get under my skin – more so if I believe I’ve done nothing wrong.
6. When I was a kid, I used to walk to the store, buy a giant bag of powdered donuts, and walk around the neighborhood until I had eaten every single donut. I did this so I wouldn’t have to share them with anyone. I was the same way with Little Debbie brownies. I’d sneak a few packs out of the house or hide them in my room.
7. When I was 9, I went to a model search event with a friend. I was asked to come back for the second round; my friend wasn’t. I didn’t go back because I didn’t want my friend to feel left out.
8. I will choose a hamburger over pizza every time.
9. I was diagnosed with a mathematical learning disability in 8th grade. I have trouble reading numbers, counting, translating numbers to words and words to numbers, reading analog clocks, and understanding time and how much time has passed. I excelled in every subject except math – later having trouble with science. The school didn’t know what to do with me except pass me on to the next grade, but hold me back in math. I made it to 10th grade, doing 8th grade math. At least it was something, because the school that followed didn’t do anything at all. I was in my second semester of 10th grade when I dropped out – at the principle’s suggestion.
10. My favorite band is Incubus. When all the girls my age were all googly-eyed over Nsync and Backstreet Boys, I was pinning up posters of Brandon Boyd and recording all of their songs on the radio. My celebrity crush as a kid was Jonathan Taylor Thomas. My celebrity crush as a teen was Carmen Electra.
1. What made you decide to start blogging?
I started blogging in 2004 when LiveJournal was all the rage. It was a pretty mundane blog; covering my adolescent ramblings and a few dramatics between friends. I think I started doing it because I wanted a place to say what I wanted to say and have people know I was saying it.
2. What do you think is the most important thing to feature in a blog post?
Honesty. If you aren’t honest with yourself and your readers, every word you type is empty. You can’t expect people to continue being interested in what you have to say if you aren’t being real with them.
3. If you had to pick a favourite type of blog post to read or write, what would it be?
My favorite blog posts are the personal ones – the ones the force the writer to dig deep into themselves and confess things that aren’t very easy to reveal. The more depth, the better the message. The better the writer.
4. How did you choose your blog name?
My blog is named after my online persona: Zuulzilla. I took two of my favorite childhood movies, Ghostbusters and Godzilla, and made something unique and catchy.
5. Apart from blogging, how else do you spend your online time?
Playing WoW, doing my comics, and faffing around on Twitter.
6. What’s your favourite geeky indulgence?
Darth Vader shaped donuts. (SEE WHAT I DID THERE?!)
Probably role-playing. I’m a solo RPer – which means I don’t get involved with other RPers. I enjoy creating stories and bringing characters to life. I find I enjoy gaming a lot more if I give my characters a story and a personality.
7. What really grinds your gears when it comes to online communities such as the blogging community?
People who feel the need to tear others down because their opinion differs. We all have opinions. We may not agree with each other all of the time, but that’s no reason to attack someone else. Not liking someone’s opinion shouldn’t be the basis for hatred. Sure, it may change how you perceive them, but allowing it to get under your skin so much that you turn it into a war? That’s silly. You can control yourself. You can’t control other people, or their beliefs.
8. What do you want to achieve on your blog by the end of 2014?
This is a good question, because until five seconds ago I had no set goals for my blog. Let’s change that!
Over the years I’ve frequently lost interest in blogging, usually for months at a time. My goal is to continue blogging without much interruption on into 2015. I may take a break here and there, but I want to keep them short. No more than two weeks, tops. Most importantly, I want to continue breaking the seams of the topics that people find difficult to talk about.
9. Off the beaten track, but what’s your dream career?
Writing. I want a career in writing. Whether it’s game writing, comic writing, or writing novels… I want it. I will have it.
10. Do you have a bucket list? If so, what notable things are on it?
Ha! ‘Camping outside of a store with a friend while waiting on the release of something’ is actually #1 on my bucket list.
‘Go on a long road trip with no destination in mind’ is second on the list.
‘Take a picture of a snowflake’ is also on the list.
‘Stay curled up in bed all day with someone special’ was recently added to that list.
All pretty simple goals, I think. I don’t have things like ‘see the pyramids’ or ‘visit Greece’ because, although those things do interest me and I’d LOVE to see those places, I wouldn’t regret dying without ever seeing them. I’d regret it if I never took the time to enjoy the small things in life.
*. Marmite: love it, hate it, or never heard of/had it? Don’t say you don’t feel one way or the other. We know you’re lying.
I’ve heard of it, but I’ve never had it. I’d love to try it, though!
I have no idea how many followers some of my favorite blogs have, but I’m going to nominate them anyways.
Psyche Plays – @PsychePlays
Glitzy Geek Girl – @GlitzyGeekGirl
Mr. and Mrs. WoW – @MrandMrsWoW
The Golded Crusade – @Xsinthis
Alternative Chat – @AlternativeChat
Newbies Are Our Future – @MorisonWoW
Tales of Aggronaut – @Belghast
Cynwise’s Warcraft Manual – @WoWCynwise
Variant Avatar – @Ceraphus
EpicInsanity – @Epic_Insanity
And a bonus! Feckless Leader – @Elepheagle
Questions for Nominees:
1. Who, what, and/or where does your blogging inspiration come from?
2. What do you/did you want to be when you grow up?
3. What advice do you have for someone just starting out in blogging?
4. What are some things on your bucket list?
5. What clique were you in in high school?
6. You are exiled to an island and can take three items. What do you choose?
7. If you could go back 5 years and share one piece of advice with yourself, what would you say?
8. Who’s your favorite Superhero?
9. Favorite place to visit?
10. Dinosaurs or Dragons? Why?
Thank you SO much, Psyche, for my shiny new badge. <3 Thank YOU for reading, Zuulzilla